This week, Rick Buccheri, ADR Vantage’s Director of Programs, facilitated “Navigating DEI in ADR Practice”, an engrossing discussion among ADR practitioners and program managers exploring how issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion affect the practice of alternative dispute resolution. It was an in-depth conversation, and a great opportunity for practitioners to learn from expert panelists, Dr. Yunzi “Rae” Tan and Cheryl Jamison, JD. You can now watch a recording of the webinar at https://youtu.be/lGUYvRUOR9w
The nexus between DEI and ADR continues to be explored and ADR Vantage hopes to further our work in this area with future research and events. In the meantime, we welcome you to start to engage in your own thoughts and exploration of how the dimensions of DEI may impact and interact with the practice of ADR. You can start with this great list of resources that were offered during the session:
- This is the original research that was the focus of the discussion: ADR-DEI research survey and results
- Blind Spot by Anthony Greenwald and Mahzarin Banaji
- Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice the shapes what we see, Think and Do by Jennifer Eberhardt
- The Person You Mean to Be: How Good People Fight Bias by Dolly Chugh
Recommended Academic Papers:
- Hoffman & Stallworth (2008). Leveling the playing field for workplace neutrals: A proposal for achieving racial and ethnic diversity. Dispute Resolution Journal.
- Jakeman & Clark (2019). The “neutral person”: A paradox-accepting and addressing unconscious bias in mediation. The Advocate.
- Lee (2020). Implicit bias in mediation: Strategies for mediators to engage constructively with “incoming” implicit bias. Harvard Negotiation Law Review.
Recommended Websites & Other Related Resources:
- Dismantling Racism
- Racial Equity Tools
- Inclusive Language
- Gender-based Analysis Plus (GBA+)
- Undoing Racism Workshop
- Laws enforced by the EEOC
If you are interested in these topics, make sure to follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and/or Facebook. For more information on this event or future events regarding DEI and ADR, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org